A month goes by way too fast. I’ll admit, part of it is me being a complete slacker, but it’s been busy the past few weeks. Three weekends ago we went up to the lakehouse where I fully intended to take amazing and awe-inspiring photos of my works in progress. I got one. It was a very busy weekend!
I finished up the 1oz art batt I was working on. It’s probably 100yds of singles. I have no idea what I will do with it. This wasn’t my favorite stuff to work with- there was still a lot of grease in the fiber, and sections of the merino seemed a bit felted. I am moderately pleased with the final product, though.
(Note- it’s more pink than orange in real life.)
Next up, some wool/mohair/angelina blend. I don’t think I have any in progress photos of it, but I did spin some of it up into an art yarn last year, documented in this blog post. I got about 62 yds of worsted weight, 2 ply yarn. it’s nice and squishy. I learned a lot on this fiber. One: semi-felted wool sucks, and Two: I need to put more twist into my singles. I seem to habitually undertwist my singles, and it makes plying more challenging than it needs to be.
I also worked on a similar fiber with a heavier spindle. This one had way more felted sections, and sometimes I felt like I was fighting with the fiber. The colors were so vibrant though, I almost forgot what a pain in the butt it is to spin.
The rest of this month (all 5 days of it) will be spent getting bobbins and spindles cleared off for the start of Tour De Fleece 2012. Hopefully that means pictures of more finished yarns to come!